Croagh Parish – Steeped in history
Croagh parish was already a significant ecclesiastical centre as far back as 1109, with a thriving seminary attached to the Abbey. The population grew substantially in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, during which period Croagh was granted the status of corporate town. Over the centuries, Croagh has been known by a number of names, including Moycro (1239), Croch (1416), Croth (1452), Croghe (1586), Croaghstowne (1669) and Cruach (1840). Although no signs remain today, there were once castle ruins to the south west of the Greanagh Stream, and the remains of a second castle near the Abbey grounds. The town’s physical features have remained unchanged for centuries, and the Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) refers to the singular irregular street pattern of the village.
Sport & Recreation
Ballycannon Lodge is an ideal base for a host of sport and recreation activities in the area. Just a short drive away are the superb facilities of the famous Limerick Racecourse, near the village of Patrickswell. Comprising of 400 acres of prime greenbelt farmland in a beautiful panoramic setting, Limericks racecourse has all the ingredients for a great day out. With several golf clubs within easy driving distance, including Adare, Charleville and Ardagh, Ballycannon Lodge is also an ideal base for golfers. There are several museums, parks, gardens, castles, exhibitions and an equestrian centre within easy driving distance, and there is also the opportunity to fish 😊